Day 1:

TOTALLY EXHAUSTED is the only way to describe how we feel!! What an emotional, tiring day!!!

Jaxson went in for surgery around 0730, we waited patiently for the surgeon to come talk to us just after noon. He said Jaxson did good, they patched up the ‘holes’, however they had to split the 1 common valve that he had into 2 and the part that made the mitral valve was not good. He said he was not happy with what he had to work with. The mitral valve has a mild to moderate leak and may need replacement within the week, or within the next couple of years or maybe not at all. Only time will tell.

We got to go to the CPICU around 1240. When we arrived all of the staff were at the tail end of transferring him over to the bed and monitors. We sat with him for the entire afternoon/early evening. We expected to see a very sick looking baby, however he looks so peaceful and ‘healthy’ (minus the ETT, chest tubes, central lines, arterial lines and pacer wires :P). His blood work, labs, gasses are all good and stable. The surgeon came to see him around 1630 and was very happy with how he was doing. Early this evening he was starting to stir, move around and open his eyes. It was very reassuring to see this, as he did not appear to be in any distress. We would kiss him, hold his hand, rub his head and whisper him back to sleep.

I have debated on if I want to post ‘graphic’ or ‘disturbing’ (to some) pictures of him. I decided that I want to post one of him everyday. I think it is important to see what Jaxson is going through and what his mommas are dealing with. So here is Jaxson 2 hours post open heart surgery (The redness to his skin is the cleaning agent from the OR)

photo 1-2


The CPICU is a very uncomfortable place. There is 12 beds all in 1 room basically. We sit on office chairs beside his bed. We are allowed to be there 24/7 but there is really no point. We decided to come back to the hotel, have a beer and pizza and unwind. We plan on getting a solid sleep tonight and be back at the hospital first thing tomorrow morning.

The plan for the morning is to decrease the sedation and try to extubate (take the breathing tube out) Jaxson. We will make at least 1 phone call over there tonight to check up on how he is doing.

Thank you everyone for all of your thoughts and prayers today. It has been a LONG, rough day and we are totally exhausted. Keep little Jax in your thoughts. He is a little fighter and there is no doubt in our mind that he will prove everyone wrong, just like he has thus far!!

Here is a couple more pics of our little man. chat tomorrow……

photo 2-2 photo 3

5 thoughts on “Day 1:

  1. So happy that went well, thanks for updating. You all are so blessed to have each other. Love and continued prayers from California.πŸ’™πŸ™


  2. Seeing your baby sick is no fun! We spent three weeks in the PICU after our daughter’s feeding tube perforated her bowel. So, very familiar with all those tubes and wires! I know they’re hard to look at, but you won’t regret taking the pictures! It’s so fun to look back and see how far they come since those scary few days! Praying for your sweet little guy from Michigan!


  3. Praying for the very best outcome! Our babe had open heart surgery 26/03/14. We weren’t allowed to talk at her bedside for a few days in picu b/c she could hear us and was getting wiggly πŸ™‚ Even if he is heavily sedated, Jaxon knows your there β™‘


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s